WHO WE ARE
The Pearl River Valley Water Supply District is the state agency created to construct and manage the 33,000-acre Barnett Reservoir and the 17,000 acres surrounding the lake. The District carries out its multi-purpose mission without any state or local tax dollars.
A Board of Directors approves plans and projects for the District. The board members represent four state agencies and five counties that it serves in Central Mississippi.
CURRENTLY THE DISTRICT...
- Provides a water supply for the City of Jackson and to approximately 6,000 District lease-holders capable of meeting the projected growth demands of the City of Jackson and surrounding area, well into the future.
- Maintains the Reservoir dam and monitors water quality in cooperation with the Mississippi Department of Health and the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality.
- Provides recreational opportunities that include managing 48 recreational facilities for an estimated 2.5 million annual visitors. These facilities increase each year, boosting the local economies. Visitors can relax at five campgrounds, 16 parks, 22 boat launches, three handicapped-accessible trails, two multi-purpose trails and a mountain bike trail. Each campground has an on-site Reservoir Police manager. In conjunction with private and public sectors, the District has also developed five marinas, four baseball/soccer complexes and two golf courses.
- Develops quality residential communities on Reservoir property, totaling 66 subdivisions and over 5,800 homes to date, maintained by comprehensive subdivision regulations, architectural review guidelines, active homeowners associations and protective covenants. In addition to more than a thousand waterfront properties, convenient water access is provided by 22 public boat launches and five marinas. Eighteen miles of paved trails for walking, jogging, bicycling and sightseeing connect Reservoir neighborhoods and shopping areas.
- Provides safe and family-friendly environments with Reservoir Police officers that service the Reservoir and its facilities. Each officer is a law enforcement academy graduate, and fully certified by the State of Mississippi. Reservoir campground managers are also fully trained, state-licensed members of the Reservoir Police.
- Cooperates with other agencies and the U.S. Corps of Engineers to provide flood mitigation for downstream properties.
- Provides multiple-use management of over 10,000 acres of forest lands that include wildlife and watershed protection.